The safety of our users is very important to us. There are steps that everyone can follow to ensure their safety while using RentHoop. Please take a few minutes to read these tips.
Keep your financial information private
Ignore any request to send money – even if the person claims to be in an emergency – and report it to us immediately. Never give out financial information such as you social security number, credit card number or bank information.
Keep your personal information
You are in control of your RentHoop experience at all times – remain anonymous until you feel ready. Be careful about sharing personal information, such as your full name, phone number, email and address. Protect your identity until you are comfortable enough with someone to share it. Also, leave any personal contact information out of your RentHoop profile.
Note: RentHoop will never send you an email asking for your username and password information. Any such communication should be reported immediately.
There are red flags to watch out for that may indicate you're dealing with a scammer. Be aware of anyone who:
- Sends you messages containing links to third-party websites
- Quickly asks to talk or chat outside of RentHoop
- Asks you for money
- Vanishes mysteriously then reappears under a different name
- The U.S. Federal Trade Commission's advice to avoid online scams is available here
Report suspicious users
- Asking you for money or donations
- Anyone that looks like they could be under the age of 17
- Users sending harassing or offensive messages
- Users behaving inappropriately after meeting in person
- Fraudulent profiles
- Spam or solicitation, such as attempts to sell products or services
Meeting In Person
First meetings are exciting, but always take precautions and follow these guidelines to help you stay safe:
- Get to know the other person before meeting them offline
- Get to know someone through chat before disclosing personal information or meeting in person. We don't conduct criminal background checks on our users, so it’s up to you to do your own research and remain cautious.
- Always meet in public
- Meet for the first time in a populated, public place – never in a private or remote location, and never at your home or apartment.
- Tell a friend Inform a friend or family member of your plans.
- Tell them who you are meeting, where you are going and when you will return. Bring your phone with you.
- Drive yourself to and from the first meeting
- Be in control of your own ride – even if you take a taxi. Securing your own ride is important. Even if the person you're meeting volunteers to pick you up, do not get into a vehicle with someone you don’t know and trust, especially if it’s the first meeting.
Following these guidelines will help keep RentHoop safe and enjoyable.